Thursday, February 7, 2013

Sick and tired.

Can I just say, I am so sick and tired of reading about younger women with cancer! Me included! Let me rephrase...I'm not tired of reading about these people, I'm tired of there being a constant and seemingly growing pool out there. Why is this happening? I just read a story about a 35 year old woman, diagnosed at 31 and now with a recurrence of Stage 4 metastasis. I have met a few pregnant with cancer moms on the internet...one is the same age as I am...one is 25! This is completely ridiculous and unacceptable. I know people have been getting cancer forever. I know it's not an "old person's disease". I know these things. But I also know that it seems like the growth in the cancer rate for people in their 20's and 30's has jumped considerably over the past decade or so and it just about makes me sick (yes, I get the irony in that statement). It troubles me on so many levels.

One- what is causing this, what can we do, etc etc. The fact that my cancer is not BRCA positive, and that even though I have a family history, my cancer is a different type, much more aggresive, at a younger age, leads me to believe it's a least partially environmentally caused. I'm trying to do everything I can to chemically cleanse my house and myself, but I'm only human. I will do the best I can.

Two - Will there ever really be a cure? I hope to God so. But honestly, growing up around people who had chronic illnesses, I've been of the thought for a long time that for the drug companies, it's much more profitable to never find a cure for certain things, cancer included. I hope and pray I'm wrong, I'm not convinced I am, even being on this side of the fence where a cure would mean everything.

I guess now, I fight the best I can, I do the best I can, and I do everything I can to ensure that in the future, the number of news stories dwindles considerbly, and that my daughter is never, ever the subject of such a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment