Thursday, November 28, 2013

Closing out the 28 days of thankfulness...and a Happy Thanksgiving to you all!



Well, it certainly is more difficult to write everyday about random prompts then I expected. That said, I will do my best to close this out. 

A talent that I have - seriously? I can tie a cherry stem in a knot with my tongue! :) Ummm, I'm a pretty good baker, I don't know if that's talent. I'll tell you a talent I would like to have - 1) I would love to be able to draw, paint, etc. I cannot for the life of me and I am jealous of the several family members who are able to do that. It fascinates me to see people draw something, pull something out of their mind and put it on paper because when I try to do that it looks like...well, not good. 2) I have never taken a musical lesson in my life but I would love to learn to play the banjo...and the piano...but the banjo. I know, weird, but whatever. I can just picture myself sitting around a campfire playing songs on my banjo while the snow falls or the starts blanket the sky.
 
A memory - well, thank God I can still remember some memories with my shot brain. I don't have a favorite memory anymore than anything else, but here's one for the season. When I was very little we used to go to my grandmother's cousin's house on Christmas Eve. Seemed like it took a day to get wherever we were going but it was most likely like 40 minutes away. This was the Austrian side of the family and Emmy always imported things for Christmas from Austria - liquor filled chocolates, my favorite pfeffernusse cookies...and the tree was covered in angel hair, and I mean covered...I'm not even sure if the tree was real or not because you couldn't see it it was so covered. After dinner everyone would actually stand around the piano in their swinging 70's caftans and leisure suits and sing carols together and then presents would be opened. She gave the best presents - one year she gave me a child size wooden piano! That was the best, I would play it over and over with the little paper key that came with it. Good times.
 
Anything about fall? Seriously? Well, if you read this then by now you are certainly aware of my life affair with all things fall - except the late heat wave we usually suffer through here in southern California. What in the world is there not to love about fall?
 
The leaves, the coolness, those days that are so blindingly bright but crisp and biting, the apples and pumpkins and cocoa. Aaahhhhhh, fall. My soul breathes deeply every fall.
 
And finally a day of thanks.
 
 
I am thankful to be here to have any holiday with my family. I'm thankful for the ones that I have had in the past. I'm working everyday to be cognizant of remembering my blessings, even and especially when it is difficult to. May all of you have a blessed Thanksgiving.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment